Hivos is looking for a Senior Budget Specialist. The Budget Specialist (BuS) is part of the Business Development Unit and reports to the head of the unit.
The Business Development (BD) unit is a global team, with 11 Business Development Managers, 1 Negotiations and Compliance Officer, 2 Budget Specialists and 1 Project Officer, plus the head of the unit. The target for Business Development is an order intake of 70 mil euro annually in quality funding of programs in line with our impact areas. We aim to attract Bigger Bolder Business, diversification of donors and donor intelligence will be captured through monitoring key donors on calls and strategies (country, regional, global) and a proper use of the AS CRM system.
Aim of the job
As Senior Budget Specialist you will lead and support the proposal budgeting process and development of financial proposals to donors, both global and regional. The BuS applies Hivos’ financial and accounting procedures and sustainability requirements and collects and applies Hivos expertise on donor requirements in designing and realizing budgets and deployment. The BuS provides support to the BD Unit / proposal teams, both as budget developer and reviewer.
In particular, the BuS will:
- Review donor requirements (fee/cost based, eligible/ineligible costs, direct/indirect costs) and guide proposal teams on key requirements to consider for bid decisions, including financial risks.
- Lead budget (cost proposal) development for priority proposals, working closely with proposal bid team members local staff, project staff planning, cost estimates, and developing (winning) pricing strategies.
- Review proposal budgets to ensure they effectively meet donor requirements as well as Hivos internal costing and pricing guidelines for full cost recovery.
- Closely support proposal bid teams during the negotiation and contracting process.
- Correct registration of newly signed donor contracts in CRM system and AllSolutions Project Module, support project team to interpret, plan and organize approved project budgets, including donor specific terms and conditions.
- Monitor the use of Hivos’ budgeting tools templates and guidelines for key donors, and support in developing new approaches to respond to innovative donor financing mechanisms.
- Capacity to develop conceptual thinking by gaining insight into situations, problems and processes and to deconstruct problems and systematically investigating the various components.
- Proactive, independent work approach and a high attention to detail and accuracy given the nature of the role.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines supporting multiple proposals and often shifting demands.
- Focus on quality and result-oriented
- University degree in accounting, business, finance or similar field
- At least 5 – 7 years of relevant work experience
- Work experience in complex financial environments
- Work experience in an international (NGO) environment
- Customer orientation, team player, accuracy
- An advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, CRM systems
- Language: strong verbal and written English
What we offer
We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff. We offer a national contract based on Hivos local labor conditions, with remuneration commensurate with the experience and expertise. Contract renewable depending on performance.
Want to apply?
You are welcome to submit your application by clicking on the apply button before February 7, 2023.
You must submit both a letter of motivation/cover letter (maximum 2 pages) and resume/CV (maximum 3 pages) in English. Candidates are highly encouraged to provide a clear track record in their CV and description in cover letter that matches the requirements of the position elaborated above.
Please note that this is a local position. You are required to have a valid work permit for the Netherlands.
Hivos reserves the right to close the position before the application deadline if a suitable candidate is identified. Therefore, interested candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
Hivos is an international development organization guided by humanist values. Together with citizens and their organizations, we aim to contribute towards just, inclusive and life-sustaining societies where people have equal access to opportunities, rights and resources. We work in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America on three impact areas: Civic Rights in a Digital Age; Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, and Climate Justice.