Purpose and Scope
Hivos is seeking a consultant to devise and help initiate a comprehensive donor engagement strategy aimed at identifying and securing European Union (EU) funding in support of Hivos Climate Justice impact area in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. Specifically, the consultant will support Hivos in building a strong relationship with the EU on Climate Justice programming by:
- Facilitating and establishing contacts with key staff on the national level in EU country delegations (in Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria, Lebanon and Jordan), as well as on the regional and global levels (Brussels);
- Providing in-depth knowledge of EU priorities and decision-making structures;
- Providing concrete recommendations on how to successfully leverage Hivos MENA Climate Justice programmes;
- Identify concrete funding opportunities with the EU.
Hivos is an international organization guided by humanist values, that works for a world where people can realize their full potential, unleashing their ingenuity and creativity to build fair, just and life-sustaining societies for themselves and generations to come. Our mission is to amplify, support and connect voices that promote social and environmental justice and challenge power imbalances. We particularly empower marginalized rightsholders to raise their voice and demand freedom of choice. We therefore support and accompany local organizations, groups and activists, while we also implement activities ourselves. We work in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America in three impact areas: 1) civic rights in a digital age, 2) climate justice, and 3) gender equality, diversity and inclusion. Our approach is solution driven, and we build wider movements for change by amplifying and connecting voices. To ensure continuity and expansion of our work, we aim to diversify our sources of funding and increase our funding base. For more on our Climate Justice impact area, please visit this link. You can also find more information on the Greenworks programme here and the Voices for Just Climate Action here.
1. Produce a report that includes:
- A detailed analysis of decision-making structures and EU priority issues particularly the the EU’s NDICI framework (looking at national, regional and global levels) mapped against Hivos Climate Justice strategic priorities and theory of change;
- Recommendations on how to enhance name recognition with EU country delegations in Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria, Lebanon and Jordan, regional decision-making centres and Brussels, including approaches and opportunities to influence priorities and secure consultation on calls for proposals;
- Details on key decision-makers within EU country delegations, regional decision-making centres and Brussels focusing on Climate Justice;
- The EU’s total current investments, main partners and projects in the MENA countries.
- Upcoming national, regional and global funding opportunities on Climate Justice.
2. Facilitate and establish contacts with key relevant EU staff working on climate justice in country delegations, regional decision-making centres and in Brussels according to a proposed action-plan and schedule agreed on by Hivos.
The assignment does not have a fixed location, but proven extensive experience and familiarity with EU country delegations in the MENA focus countries are mandatory. The duration of the assignment is 4 weeks, starting in 1st April 2022. It is anticipated that the assignment will take approximately 10 days (final details on total working days and budget to be confirmed with consultant during contracting).
- Demonstrated experience, connections and track record with EU delegations in at least 3 of the Hivos MENA focus countries, yet able to cover all 5 focus countries under this assignment.
- Demonstrable, solid and in-depth knowledge on the EU and the EU’s thematic priorities and funding streams (particularly the NDICI Framework), decision-making structures, processes and people in Brussels and MENA country delegations, its funding streams;
- Able to facilitate warm introductions to key decision- makers on climate justice in the EU MENA delegations and Brussels.
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising, resource mobilisation and donor engagement.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in report writing.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
How to apply:
We invite interested consultants with the relevant skills, experience and connections to submit the following:
- An expression of interest demonstrating why you are the right person(s) for this assignment including a proven track record with EU delegations in the MENA region, and in Brussels.;
- A Curriculum Vitae that supports your expression of interest;
- Technical proposal detailing a plan of action, approach, timeline of deliverables, & number of working days;
- Financial proposal, with a detailed breakdown of costs & inclusive of required taxation
- At least two reference contacts from past/recent and similar work/assignments.
Please send these documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading: “EU donor engagement consultancy”. The deadline is 15 March 2022. Applications after this date will not be considered.
This assignment is commissioned by the Hivos Business Development Unit and the Hivos MENA Hub. A contact person at Hivos will be assigned to communicate regularly with the consultant and provide her/him/them with relevant documents and connections to people in Hivos. The consultant will present the draft report and final report to the assigned contact person for feedback and input.