Hivos is an international development organization guided by humanist values. Together with citizens and their organizations, we aim to contribute towards just, inclusive and life sustaining societies where people have equal access to opportunities, rights and resources. We work in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America on three impact areas: civic rights; gender equality, diversity and inclusion, and climate justice. Our approach is solution driven, and we build wider movements for change by amplifying and connecting voices.
Voice is an innovative grant facility to support rightsholders and groups facing marginalisation or discrimination in their efforts to exert influence in accessing productive and social services and political participation. Voice operates in a context where civic space and power is shifting at a fast pace, and often closing rather than opening. Where the narrative is negative and underlining marginalisation and vulnerability, rather than the dreams and successful steps made towards a better, more inclusive world. Voice is implemented in ten countries in Africa and Asia: Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia and the Philippines
An initiative from the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Voice is implemented by a consortium between Oxfam Novib and Hivos.
The role of Roving Monitoring and Evaluation (MEL) Officer is a new role within the decentralised Coordination Team, based in Manilla, Nairobi and The Hague. Based on the learnings of the 2019 Mid-Term Review, it was decided to decentralise the global MEL officer into two regional roles: one for Africa and one for South East Asia. These decentralised roles would ensure closer liaisons with the country teams in realising their M&E plan, as part of the global results framework.
As Voice’s Roving M&E officer, you develop plans and reports related to the progress and impact of the Voice program, in line with the global results framework. In close liaison with the country and regional teams of Oxfam (Novib) and Hivos respectively you will coordinate and lead on information gathering and impact measurement in East and West Africa. Together with your colleague in South East Asia and your colleagues in country and regional offices, you develop tools for tailor-made assessments, monitoring and evaluations. You also ensure processing monitoring information in the programme registration system. Furthermore, you lead on in-country implementation of the Outcome Harvesting, change stories’ and other relevant qualitative data gathering processes, in close collaboration with the South East Asia Roving M&E Officer and with your colleagues in country and regional offices.
Reports to: Linking and Learning Coordinator
- To ensure quality delivery against the global Voice results framework, taking into account the Hivos and Oxfam (Novib) results framework.
- To develop, assess and refine a global inventory of context-specific tools and approaches for data gathering and analysis, using the Oxfam (Novib) system as a basis.
- To lead on Voice M & E activities for Africa, ensuring coherence with the global plan.
- To act as a focal point for M & E related communications in Africa.
- To enhance quality of country level reporting on results and outcomes in the 6 African Voice focus countries.
- Develops global-level plans and reports related to the progress and impact of the Voice program, together with South East Asia Roving M& E officer.
- Together with Voice country teams, develops country-level M & E plans and reports aligned to the global results framework.
- Coordinates the overall program information gathering and impact measurement process and makes sense of country-level outcome and output data for Africa.
- Processes project monitoring and evaluation information of the global grants in the program registration system.
- Supports country teams in Africa to process project monitoring and evaluation information of grants in the program registration system.
- Supports country teams to gather and analyse project output and outcome data, as per the overall M & E plan.
- Coordinates the development and peer-evaluation of tools for tailor-made assessments, project monitoring and evaluations.
- Leads on overall functioning, and manages in-country implementation of the Outcome Harvesting, change stories’ and other relevant qualitative data gathering processes, in close collaboration with the South East Asia Roving M&E Officer and Communications Hub.
- Together with the L&L coordinator and L&L Community of Practice, develops and curates a global Voice knowledge management and learning system.
- Ensures evidence-based cross-fertilisation with other programmes in-country and in the region.
You have a relevant academic education in the field of social studies or equivalent in work experience. You have at least 3 years of experience with M&E, preferably in developing countries. You are a well organised, independent, decisive and energetic person. You perform quality tasks independently. You have affinity with data monitoring and administration. Your communication skills are excellent both oral and in writing in English and French. Finally, we expect you to have good social interaction skills and affinity with working on diversity and inclusion. Nothing about us Without Us or NOW-Us! is (y)our mantra!
- Relevant academic education in the field of social studies or equivalent in work experience.
- 3 years’ professional experience in similar local context.
- Affinity with data monitoring and administration.
- Experience in gathering, analysing and presenting quantitative and qualitative data.
- Excellent knowledge of English and French.
Other essential skills
- Well-organised and results-oriented.
- Attentive to detail.
- Able to perform high quality tasks independently.
- Team player, networker, socially interactive.
What we offer
We offer a stimulating work environment within a professional international organisation with very dedicated staff. You will be based in any of the countries (i.e. Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda) either at an Oxfam or Hivos office, while your contract will be with Hivos East Africa. The employment is initially offered for the period of 1 year. Starting date will be as soon as possible.
How to apply
Applications and motivation letters should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and be received by 17 June, 2021. Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information about Voice and the selection procedure for this vacancy, you can contact Inez Hackenberg, Linking and Learning Coordinator Voice. Inez.Hackenberg@voice.global
Applicants must live and work in one of the other countries covered by this position. We especially encourage applications from the rightsholders Voice stands for.