Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
Hivos East Africa is looking for a Program Officer for the Protecting Rights, Openness, Transparency, Enhancing Civic Transformation (PROTECT) program. The program aims to promote free, open and inclusive societies in Kenya, Malawi and Myanmar by empowering civil society organizations, human rights defenders and infomediaries to fulfill their role in holding governments accountable and building independent and democratic societies. ARTICLE 19, Hivos, ICNL, Internews and in-country partners are bringing together their expertise in the fields of freedom of assembly, association, expression, access to information and data transparency, media sustainability and protection to address holistically the multifaceted challenge of closing civic space.
We are looking for a person who shares our values, with great and inclusive programmatic, management and leadership skills who can lead this program with passion and commitment.
To provide leadership in the implementation of the PROTECT Program in Kenya. He/she ensures that activities stay on track and contribute to the defined and aims for the best possible result. The program officer will support the Program Manager implement the PROTECT program in Kenya and liaise with consortium partners and other key stakeholders.
Program Management, Representation and Communication
- Manages the implementation of the PROTECT program in Kenya in liaison with the PROTECT Program Manager. This includes, but not limited to: Ensuring high quality narrative and financial reports, further building relationships with consortium partners and grantees, data management, monitoring & evaluation and linking and learning.
- Provides technical oversight of the program in Kenya and individual activities to ensure adherence to defined goals, evidence-based interventions and best practices.
- Is the primary relationship lead in Kenya representing Hivos in the coalition and with external stakeholders, including responding to information requests.
- Discusses with coalition partners and other key stakeholders, in all aspects of program planning, monitoring, and implementation.
- Innovates and proactively support strategic alliances with relevant stakeholders.
- Leads a participatory process of co-creation that closely involves both the donor as well as consortium and local partners.
- Ensures that partners are meaningfully engaged in decision making and receive the organizational and technical capacity development needed to successfully complete their grant-funded activities.
- Ensures compliance with and implementation of all donor-related and project specific policies.
- Supports the organization of PROTECT program events and activities in Kenya in collaboration with Partners and the Hivos PROTECT team.
- Ensures partner compliance with Hivos grant making procedures and policies.
Monitoring, Knowledge and Learning
- Monitors performance of the program and makes recommendations regarding scale-up potential or trouble shooting when challenges arise.
- Monitors contextual developments in Kenya affecting the program.
- Supports development of knowledge and learning approaches for partners and other stakeholders.
- Supports the implementation of the program’s co-creation research approach.
- Maintains an updated in-country database of the program’s key stakeholders.
Administrative and Procurement Tasks
- Oversees financial management and procurement, including subsequent contracting of local partners, in line with Hivos and donor requirements. This also includes the delivery, management, and monitoring of sub-grants.
- Support the identification of possible service providers in line with the Hivos procurement procedures and policy.
- During PROTECT program events and activities, guide the Regional support staff to facilitate the delivery of in-country logistical tasks.
- Assist the Regional staff with the tracking and follow-up of partner documentation and reporting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in working with and commitment to good governance, transparency, citizen engagement and accountability.
- Experience with managing multi-stakeholder initiatives incl. civil society, government, oversight authorities and private sector.
- Demonstrable experience in implementing learning and sharing information with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Experience in facilitating training, policy and advocacy interventions across countries and region.
- Experience working with investigative journalists, using data for public scrutiny and anti-corruption investigations.
- Excellent communication, analytical, problem-solving and relationship management skills.
- Commitment to team-working and a willingness to join in with colleagues to manage the pressures and priorities of the day.
- Likes to work in a multi-cultural environment with people from different religions, cultures and of various sexual orientations and gender identities.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent experience) in social sciences, international development or related area.
- More than 3 years professional experience in program coordination or management of transparency, citizen engagement and accountability programs, or programs on good governance, anti-corruption, civic space, independent media, human rights or related fields.
- Proven experience in implementing high-volume sub-granting programs in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Demonstrated experience with similarly complex programs involving coordination with multiple projects and partner institutions, including delivering at pace and managing demands from multiple stakeholders.
- Financial and operational management skills.
What we offer
We offer a competitive package based on the candidate’s qualifications and on local terms and conditions.