Hivos is an international development organization guided by humanist values. Together with citizens and their organizations, we aim to contribute towards just, inclusive and life-sustaining societies where people have equal access to opportunities, rights and resources. We work in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America on three impact areas: Civic Rights in a Digital Age; Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, and Climate Justice.
For the impact areas of Climate Justice & Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion and the intersection of the two areas, we are looking for a Program Development Manager (PDM), Middle East and North Africa.
The climate crisis is a political, social and ethical issue, rather than a purely environmental one. Peoples and countries with low incomes and long histories of oppression are the ones facing the worst impacts of climate change, despite having contributed the least to causing it. Hivos believes that locally-shaped climate solutions can bring about the transformational change necessary to turn the tide. Our vision is for justice, equity and human rights to be at the core of global climate action, grounded in the priorities and agency of those disproportionally impacted by climate change. Rightsholders and local communities often lead change in their climate-stricken communities, but they are rarely heard in climate decision-making. These women, indigenous peoples, youth, urban poor, and smallholder farmers must own, participate in and benefit from climate action.
Gender equality, diversity and inclusion (GEDI) is central to our work on climate justice, as well as other areas. Our GEDI programs seek to co-create new solutions that catalyze broad social and structural transformation to advance gender equality, diversity, and inclusion (GEDI) and achieve equality for all. We aim to support rightsholders in their efforts to claim the power, agency, and leadership necessary to drive change.To learn more about Hivos’ direction in Climate Justice & GEDI, reference is made to Hivos’ Strategic Compass 2021-2024 document.
The PDM is part of the Business Development unit and reports to the Head of Business Development. This is a global team and together with colleagues – both in the team and across our regions – the PDM ensures sustainability in terms of funding for global and local programs that inspire and have an impact. This is a pivotal role in the heart of Hivos programming. The PDM in this specific role is also part of the MENA team, physically located in the region to ensure proximity to other MENA colleagues, partners, donors and other key stakeholders.
The PDM creates and maintains intimate and productive relationships with (key) funders, leads business development processes and builds strategic partnerships and consortia for program development/fundraising in the field of Climate Justice. The PDM will be responsible for a specific percentage of Hivos’ annual income as a result of market analysis and donor capture plans. The PDM analyzes opportunities ensures proposals fulfill internal and donor requirements and translates Hivos conceptual thinking in viable, sustainable and financially sound program propositions.
The PDM works in tandem with Hivos thought leaders to ensure thematically solid propositions in line with Hivos strategy and supports Hub directors and program colleagues to develop local and global donor relations, donor intimacy and attractive propositions for funding. With these internal partners, the PDM will scout, and follow up, for new business development opportunities. Next, the PDM supports program colleagues to develop repeat deals, realize scale and pro-actively involves the senior Contract & Negotiations Officer to ensure deals positively contribute to Hivos mission and business continuity. Lastly, the PDM ensures early and active participation of the Budget Specialist in the BD team. Above all the PDM excels in writing winning proposals.
- Scope: Middle East & North Africa
- Reports to: Head of Business Development
- Hours: full time (36 hours per week)
- Term: This appointment is for an initial term of one year, renewable based on results and performance.
- Office: Beirut or Tunis.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead in gathering donor intelligence and in preparing for pro-active fundraising in the MENA region, as well as for forecasted opportunities, including partner identification and engagement. Facilitate well-informed Go/No Go decisions.
- Develop winning proposals for submission to donors for the MENA region. This includes analyzing the donor requirements, leading partner negotiations, coordinating effective and timely inputs for proposal & budget development from team members as well as partners, and prepare narrative/technical proposals for submission.
- Provide support in response to global calls for proposals, providing MENA region-specific information, developing specific sections of the proposal, peer-reviewing the proposal and/or liaising with regional partners.
- Lead and participate in evaluations of both successful and unsuccessful proposal development processes and identify possible areas of improvement.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key Hivos funders in the MENA region. Identify trends and priorities of these funders and ensure early access to opportunities. Where relevant, participate in regional events and/or donor visits for visibility and positioning.
- Manage pro-active opportunities and proposals in the Hivos Customer Relations Management (CRM) system, including adding donor intelligence to this CRM system.
- Support program colleagues in preparing no-cost and cost extensions for ongoing programs, including actively engaging with those colleagues to fundraise for follow-on or repeat programs.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in program development/fundraising in Climate Change / Climate Justice and the intersection with Gender Equality and Diversity Inclusion in a multi-country context.
- Able to drive the development of exciting, creative and inspiring concepts and lead proposal teams, including with partners.
- Understands how to network and gather donor intelligence in order to ensure up-to-date donor overview and improve donor account management.
- Knowledge of and relevant partner and donor network on climate justice and GEDI issues in the MENA region
- Competent to manage (complex) calls/proposals with (large) consortiums across the MENA region, with strong capabilities in process management.
- Experienced proposal writer, with proven track record in preparing high quality winning proposals from several different donors, with value of at least 1 million EUR.
- Has ‘outside-in’ capacity to pitch proposal ideas and able to represent Hivos to an external audience, by starting from the donor perspective with a heavy focus on problem-solving.
- Has shown results in market analysis and understands how this will contribute to Hivos’ long-term results.
- Strong knowledge of donor proposal requirements (formats, methodologies, results framework, budgeting, and theories of change).
- Previous experience implementing similar programs is a strong advantage.
- Enterprising dynamic personality and outstanding team player. Easy to work with, excellent networking and communications skills to achieve the best possible results.
- Level skills: cooperation, influence, leadership.
- Job skills: strongly proactive and dynamic, strategic thinking, relationship management, team player
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills in English and Arabic, including to facilitate/lead proposal development workshops, and draft well written concept notes and proposals.
- Willing to travel
What we offer
Employment conditions for Beirut:
We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff. We offer a national contract based on Hivos local labor conditions, with remuneration commensurate with the experience and expertise. Contract renewable depending on performance.
Employment Conditions for Tunis
Until the conclusion of Hivos’ registration as an International NGO in Tunisia, this position will be hosted at Al Bawsala, a Tunisian non-profit association. A local contract will be offered to the employee under Al Bawsala and accordingly, employment conditions of Al Bawsala will apply for this vacancy.
Upon the conclusion of Hivos’ registration in Tunis (and based on the employee’s performance) Hivos intends to transfer the employee’s local contract under Hivos’ umbrella where Hivos’ Tunis Office employment conditions will apply.
Contract renewable depending on performance.
Want to apply?
You are welcome to submit your application on the apply button by February 1st 2023. You must submit both a letter of motivation/cover letter (maximum 2 pages) and resume/CV (maximum 3 pages) in English.
Candidates are highly encouraged to provide a clear track record in their CV and description in cover letter that matches the requirements of the position elaborated above.
Hivos reserves the right to close the position before the application deadline if a suitable candidate is identified. Therefore, interested candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible.