About Hivos and this role
Hivos was a frontrunner among development NGOs in putting digital rights, and wider issues of free expression and association, at the heart of our work. We pioneered work on areas such as digital security for activists; open data for civic accountability; and the intersection between activism and the arts.
But recent years have seen seismic shifts in the threats and opportunities for citizen power in a digital era. As our new Impact Lead for Civic Rights in a Digital Era, you’ll ensure that Hivos is once again blazing new trails in this fast-changing area.
Building on our Strategic Compass, you’ll position us to tackle stark new challenges such as large-scale disinformation campaigns, algorithmic bias, systematic criminalization of human rights defenders, and persistent inequalities in the increasingly digitalized public sphere. You’ll also ensure we make the most of exciting new opportunities, such as using technology and data to build more powerful peer-to-peer movements, and putting sophisticated real-time evidence and technology in the hands of climate activists.
This role reports to head of the Strategy & Impact (S&I) department, a global team which seeks to position Hivos for global (South-North and South-South) influence, impact and synergy across our three thematic areas (gender equity, diversity and inclusion; climate justice; and civic rights in a digital area).
The Impact Lead for Civic Rights in a Digital Age (IL-CRDA) leads Hivos’ worldwide lobby and advocacy efforts on this issue, including spearheading engagement with decision-makers, media and donors. They are also entrepreneurial in building alliances and networks with partners, wider CSOs and other stakeholders as needed for impact.
This is a “thinking and doing “role for someone who understands how offline and online political space and organising are increasingly merging; someone who is equally at home with grassroots community leaders, civic hackers, tech company officials and academics. You’ll be a ‘policy entrepreneur’ who enjoys keeping up with the latest global and regional debates and translating them into program concepts, advocacy initiatives and funding proposals.
The IL-CRDA, in collaboration with the other Impact Leads, DMEL staff, and colleagues in program implementation worldwide, is also responsible for:·
- designing cutting-edge intervention strategies (from research to training and tools to arts and culture initiatives, etc.) that create future-oriented value-add for Hivos in this space
- critically analyzing the results and effectiveness of these intervention strategies
- regularly producing blogs, social media posts, media comment and briefing notes about Hivos ‘ work in this areas, in collaboration with the Communications team
- working with business development leads to ensure that Hivos and partners attract funding at scale for these interventions.
Executing these responsibilities requires very close collaboration and division of labor with Hivos program managers and partners worldwide, with regional teams and with the Business Development department.
- At least 5 years of experience in a relevant field in an international or regional non-profit or similar setting.
- Has a clear vision on Civic Rights in a Digital Age and its links with social, environmental and gender justice.
- Is able to lead on strategy and positioning of Hivos, with the ability to address and persuade diverse audiences and represent Hivos in international fora, including through compelling research design and appealing writing.
- Is quick to analyze and synthesize trends and evidence on complex issues, while at the same time proposing and co-creating new solutions.
- Embodies Hivos values and has a track record of contributing to inclusive, equitable and trusting team environments.
- Is a credible Hivos Civic Rights champion at national and international level and a convincing internal ambassador to ensure Hivos’ own use of digital approaches aligns with our values and advocacy positions.
- Can combine thought leadership with a pragmatic solution-driven attitude.
- Is able to maintain a wide network.
- Is good at working with, influencing and leading others.
- Is innovative, service-oriented and manages relationships effectively.
What we offer
An inspirational work environment in a value-driven international organization with dedicated staff and a great team to work with. Travel costs are compensated in accordance with Hivos Regulations. We offer participation in the pension fund.
How to apply
Both a letter of motivation and resume/CV in PDF format need to be submitted in English.
Hivos reserves the right to close the position before the application deadline if a suitable candidate is identified. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible.