Hivos is an international development organization guided by humanist values. Together with citizens and their organizations, we aim to contribute towards just, inclusive and life-sustaining societies where people have equal access to opportunities, rights and resources. We work in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America on three impact areas: civic rights; gender equality, diversity and inclusion, and climate justice. Our approach is solution driven, and we build wider movements for change by amplifying and connecting voices.
Reporting to the Regional Director, the Human Resource Manager will provide support to the Regional Hub in managing all processes and interactions to develop, attract, keep, perform and enable staff excel. The position will focus on building relationships and partnering with employees and management to meet organisational objectives. The role will also assess and anticipate HR-related needs by identifying gaps, diagnosing root causes and proposing means to develop integrated solutions. The HR Manager has a functional line to the Global Head of HR and contributes to the global HR strategy and global HR projects in the Global HR Team.
Recruitment and Selection
- In liaison with the Regional Director and Program Managers, the HR Manager would be responsible for supporting talent acquisition for personnel across the region, including job requisition, attraction, recruitment, and selection.
- Manage the on-boarding and induction processes, to include contracting and pre-employment screening (background checks).
- Manage the off-boarding process including necessary paperwork, exit interviews where required & ensuring a smooth transition for employees
- Provide Organizational Development support to managers, proactively highlighting areas or issues that would lead to more efficiencies and growth opportunities to staff.
- Monitor planning interviews, mid-year review and end year appraisal of all staff as part of the Performance Management process.
- Manage end of probation period review in liaison with line managers.
- In liaison with line managers oversee implementation and management of performance improvement plans when required.
- Counsel, make recommendations, and support all facets of employee relations to ensure effective staff management to include disciplinary action, conflict resolution, performance issues, dismissals, position eliminations etc.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partner with legal advisors as needed/required.
- Reviews employee appeals through the company complaint procedure and deal with HR related grievances.
- With the RD, work to build an ethical, innovative, and committed culture in support of the organizations values, and to support employee satisfaction.
Training and Development
- In liaison with relevant line managers, identify training needs and create on the job coaching & professional development plans.
- Monitor training programs and development plans to ensure objectives are met.
Compensation and Benefits administration
- Assist the organization by managing and implementing the organization’s compensation and benefits structure i.e. medical cover, pension scheme, group life assurance etc.
- Oversee the variable pay policies and systems within the organization; including increases, increments and performance based adjustments.
- Obtain cost-effective, employee serving benefits; monitors regional/global benefits environment for options and cost savings.
- Recommend changes in benefits offered, especially new benefits aimed at employee satisfaction and retention.
Information Management Systems
- At Hub level, manage the HR sections of the online systems and services, applicant tracking system, leave management and other organization information systems, and HR related intranet sites.
- Providing timely metrics, and related analysis, to guide decision making, propose solutions and help line managers/business development units better understand HR trends, issues, and gaps
Payroll & Compliance
- Provide HR policy guidance, interpretation and enforcement.
- Responsible for initiating payroll changes for all local country office staff
- Ensure regulatory compliance with legal requirements pertinent to the day-to-day management of employees; collaborate with the legal advisors when necessary.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar position in a fast-paced international organization.
- University degree, preferably in Human Resource Management, Business Administration or another relevant qualification is required. Education requirements may be substituted by experience.
- Member of an accredited HR professional body.
- Significant experience in talent acquisition is essential.
- Solid knowledge in labor laws across Africa and other global experience or exposure. Experience working across East Africa is essential; Knowledge of West Africa would be a plus!
- Well-developed people skills, high level of emotional intelligence; excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to develop strong trusting relationships with employees at all levels.
- A highly analytical problem-solver and critical thinker, who can define root cause, evaluate alternatives and find solutions effectively.
- Effective written/verbal communication skills, active-listening, counseling, interviewing, investigating and report writing.
- Possess professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify Hivos’ values on Freedom & Dignity, Responsible Citizenship, Self-determination & diversity, Equality & Justice and Sustainable use of our planet’s resources
- Demonstrate a commitment to Hivos’ mission and vision.
We particularly welcome applications from women, trans and/or intersex people (in the broadest sense of each of these terms). We offer a contract based on Hivos East Africa local labor conditions, with remuneration commensurate with the experience and expertise requested.
Want to apply?
Submit your application through Bamboo