Are you looking for a challenging position in an impact investment management company, owned and operating over two continents? In this Southern African based position (click to view PDF), you can balance your deep knowledge of European investing and financial acumen – with African experience that jointly make the world a better place! Sounds like you? If so, perhaps think of joining Hivos Impact Investments as its new Managing Director. In this outward-focused position, you will be primarily responsible and accountable for fundraising for the Hivos Food and Lifestyle Fund, as well as inspiring the experienced international team that spans The Netherlands, through Zambia to South Africa.
We believe in an inclusive economy that serves people and planet. We therefore invest in ventures that address social and environmental issues hands-on, while driving profit and economic development. In order to continue achieving this, we’re inviting you to join our team!
Humanist principles & social impact
Hivos Impact Investments is a Europe – Africa Impact Investment management company. We are guided by humanist principles to create open, green, and fair societies through investing in early-stage companies that are scalable on both finance and impact. Our aim is to achieve social impact as well as positive financial return in the funds we manage. Hivos Impact Investments B.V. has its headquarters in The Netherlands and now manages one impact investment fund:
Hivos Food & Lifestyle Fund
This fund creates a local market for authentic and healthy foods that are sustainably produced in Southern Africa, with a special focus on South Africa, Zambia and Malawi. We take an entrepreneurial approach with our investments and typically invest between €50,000 and €250,000 in scalable companies that have traction, strong management and are post revenue.
As the Managing Director/Chief Fundraising Officer, you will lead, execute and achieve the fundraising objectives of the company, while inspiring the team to add value in their respective roles.
You will be responsible for
• Raising the necessary funds for both HII and the Food & Lifestyle Fund
As well as:
• The general management of Hivos Impact Investments B.V., including operational and financial management
• Sound investments in companies aligned with the strategy and achieving impact
• Responsible and accountable for the governance of Hivos Impact Investments B.V.
• Responsible and accountable for setting up and management of (new) Funds
• Partnering with bodies to allow this to happen
• Raising of the capital for these new funds
• Responsible and accountable for the financial management of Hivos Impact Investments BV.
• Responsible for the financial management of the Funds
• Responsible and accountable for team leadership
• Responsible and accountable for stakeholder management
• Accountable for the investment process, portfolio management and exit management of the Funds
• Responsible and accountable for the fund and the closure process of the Funds
• Successful and proven fundraising career (€20M+) in Impact Investing
• Ten years plus finance and investment experience
• Successful start-up experience
• Experience in leading dispersed, results-driven, multi-talented teams
• Ten years governance reporting experience
Skills and abilities
• Proven leadership skills, based on inspiration, trust, and influence rather than hierarchy
• Proven track record in fundraising for impact investment
• Highly skilled in external relationship management, including with donors, and investors
• Able to manage a diverse and geographically dispersed team
• Strategic thinker, able to link the operations of Hivos Impact Investments BV with the broader goals and mission of the shareholders
• Full professional proficiency in English with demonstrably excellent written and verbal skills
• Affinity with the working field and values of the shareholders
• Ability to navigate both in the commercial and non-profit field in the thematic area chosen
What we can offer you
• We can offer you a one-year contract that will be extended based on your results
• A job with purpose and societal impact within an entrepreneurial team
• You will work in an inspiring environment that addresses pressing global and regional issues
• A great opportunity to develop yourself both personally and professionally
How to apply
Do you have an open, engaged, and strong personality with a drive for entrepreneurship and investing for positive impact? Do you recognize yourself in the job description and are you excited to be part of the Hivos Impact Investments team? Then, please send:
• Curriculum Vitae
• Cover Letter
- o Motivation for the position
o What do you bring to Hivos Impact Investments?
o Fundraising abilities
• Three references
… to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject: Managing Director/Chief Fundraising Officer: Hivos Impact Investments before Friday, 1st October 2021