Do you have substantial knowledge and experience in the field of finance in the non-profit sector? Do you have experience working on EU-funded programs, in sub-granting and building the capacity of partners? Then Hivos is looking for you!
Hivos is an international development organization guided by humanist values. Together with citizens and their organizations, we aim to contribute towards just, inclusive and life-sustaining societies where people have equal access to opportunities, rights and resources. We work in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America on three impact areas: Civic Rights in a Digital Age; Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, and Climate Justice.
Hivos is looking for an experienced Finance Officer who can be a valuable member of several project teams to support in delivery of results on programs funded by several European donors. The FO is also part of the MENA finance community to ensure finance processes and procedures are rolled out at regional level in a consistent and standardized manner.
The FO designs and prepares budgets and financial aspects of project plans and reports; administers the donor and partner contracts; keeps track of expenses and payments and manages the related cash flow and reporting schedules. The FO assesses partner budgets, financial statements and financial reports, and participates in participatory grant-making processes, bringing in their specific financial expertise. The candidate we’re looking for must also be able and willing to support partners in strengthening their financial administrative knowledge and capacities. She/he/they ensures contracts with partners are signed, progress and deliverables are met, concerns and challenges are raised, and payments are made on a timely basis.
The FO works closely with program colleagues in maintaining open channels of communication with contracted partners to ensure program delivery and support. Close collaboration and direction can be expected from several finance colleagues, both within and out of MENA region. The FO is responsible for upholding Hivos’ values and principles and translating them into practice.
- Prepares Hivos’ own activity and implementation budgets.
- Supports partners in developing financial plans as needed.
- Provides input and ideas to the overarching management team on financial formats and reporting schemes
- Assesses financial-administrative aspects of organizational level and joint plans, in line with requirements and procedures, and prepares feedback and advice for improvements.
- Participates in participatory assessment teams, bringing in their specific financial-administrative knowledge.
- Share and review partner assessment with RFM and discuss a capacity building plan if needed.
- Conduct start up/inception sessions with partners to ensure contractual responsibilities are understood, and develop capacity building plan as required.
- Supports, guides and coaches partners in strengthening their financial-administrative capacities.
- In regular communication with partners to respond to questions relevant to funded programs.
Partner contract management & financial monitoring
- Prepares contracts with partners, in coordination with the project officer and in line with agreed plans
- Administers funding-streams, and monitors implementation of budgets contracts in terms of ‘rights and obligations’ to comply with.
- Follows-up on reporting cycles and prepares internal and external financial program and project statements.
- Assesses financial reports and supporting documentation of partners, and ensures compliance with donor guidelines and requirements
- Holds regular meetings with partners to ensure financial requirements and other risk-based grant management procedures are being met, and any project-affected issues are discussed and resolved.
- Reviews and administers revenue and expenditure and income statements for individual implementation contracts assigned to Hivos, according to donor and Hivos regulations and procedures
- Advises and supports the overarching management team about the improvement of formats and ways of working, in order to enhance accounting and reporting methods and capabilities on both the organization and the individual level.
- Participates or leads queries or investigations related to identified cases of irregularities or fraud.
Donor reporting & audit support
- Prepares financial reports for external auditors and donors and coordinates project audits from start to finish, including being available to answer questions and communicate directly with partners on requests.
- Liaise with relevant authorities and financial institutions to ensure Hivos is compliant with local tax and legal regulations.
Systems support (All Solutions)
- Enters all relevant financial data into the project administration system
Office management & other support
- Support office set-up, oversee petty cash management and liaise with relevant Tunisian authorities and financial institutions to ensure Hivos is compliant with local tax and legal regulations.
- Supports/leads on other programs when there is work overload and covers absences for other finance staff within MENA as needed.
- Supports non-program related tasks as may be requested by GO Finance if required
- Other tasks as requested by RFM and project FM.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business economics or related / similar field.
- At least 5 years of relevant working experience, several years of which with international organizations.
- Knowledge and previous/current experience working on programs funded by the EU, SIDA, Dutch Ministry, & USAID.
- Extensive experience working with partner grant-management, project financial monitoring & management and compliance experience.
- Previous experience with supporting or leading an audit required.
- Capacity building experience vis-à-vis local & national partners required.
- Work experience in complex operational environments and with a range of external stakeholders.
- Previous/current work experience in an international environment, with an international organization is a must.
- Able to work with colleagues and stakeholders from a diverse background, and cultures.
- Fluent in spoken and written English & Arabic, and French.
- High level of computer literacy with sound knowledge of financial accounting software and spreadsheet packages
- Able to travel both internationally and domestically as requested.
- Job skills: collaborative & communicative, proactive, structured and organized, flexible, can work independently & remotely with teams, able to meet deadlines, able to multi-task, strong team player & culturally sensitive.
What we offer
We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff. We offer a national contract, with remuneration commensurate with the experience and expertise. Contract renewable depending on performance and funding.
Until the conclusion of Hivos’ registration as a foreign NGO in Tunisia, this position will be hosted at Al Bawsala, a Tunisian non-profit association. A one-year local contract will be offered to the employee under Al Bawsala. Upon the conclusion of Hivos’ registration in Tunis, Hivos intends to transfer the employee’s contract under Hivos.
How to apply
This position is for nationals or residents of Tunisia only:
You are welcome to submit your application on the apply button by 29 Jan 2023. You must submit:
- cover letter (maximum 2 pages)
- CV (maximum 3 pages) in English.
Candidates are highly encouraged to provide a clear track record in their CV and description in cover letter that matches the requirements of the position elaborated above.
Hivos reserves the right to close the position before the application deadline if a suitable candidate is identified. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible.