Will you join us on our mission to ensure societies are more open and inclusive so they enable and safeguard meaningful civic participation of underrepresented voices demanding social justice?
Hivos is an international development organization guided by humanist values. Together with citizens and their organizations, we aim to contribute towards just, inclusive and life sustaining societies where people have equal access to opportunities, rights and resources. We work in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America on three impact areas: civic rights; gender equality, diversity and inclusion, and climate justice. Our approach is solution driven, and we build wider movements for change by amplifying and connecting voices.
Position within the organization
The MENA Finance Manager (RFM) falls under the Hivos MENA Regional Director & Head of Finance & ICT. The postholder operates as part of Global Finance & ICT Team as well as the MT of the Hub Mena. He/she/they will have oversight of a team of 4 finance staff in the region.
The Finance Manager plays a pivotal role in the heart of Hivos’ regional MENA Hub and is responsible for managing the finance team at the hub level and coaches/mentors Finance Officers working on projects, including finance processes as it relates to the corporate accounts and project finance. For project finance staff, there is a dual line of reporting, where these project Finance Officers have a reporting line to the project as well as to the Hub FM, The RFM needs to ensure the instructions, timelines & accounting rules are being followed in the MENA Hub.
As part of the Global Finance Team, the Finance Manager will take care of the end-to-end regional financial management and business planning processes, the regional accounting and the financial reporting and analysis. The FM anchors financial management process in the region as laid out by the Global Office. S/he/they will also ensure internal financial controls and financial risk management in addition to people management responsibilities.
Specifically, the Finance Manager ensures that corporate budget objectives are translated into the MENA budget. The FM prepares corporate budgets by establishing schedules, collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data and preparing month-end, quarterly and yearly financial statements.
The Finance Manager is first in line to safeguard financial assets by establishing & adhering to financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems; oversees cash and operating capital, monitors cash flow and projections and prepares month-end, quarterly and yearly financial statements on corporate level.
She/ he/ they are responsible for the monthly close process. The FM is also responsible for dealing with external auditors and finalizing the Hub’s annual accounts in line with agreed on timelines and processes.
- Supports RD in financial management of the hub
- Supports budget development on proposals (particularly regional/country proposals) as needed
- Ensures the reported numbers are timely, correct and understood
- Ability to meet deadlines (as we are moving to a much stricter monthly/quarterly close schedule)
- Responsible for hub budgets/forecasts (and any project budgets assigned), to ensure underlying assumptions are clear
- Monitors financial performance against budget and signal/advice pro-actively when trends are not going in the right direction
- Puts strong focus on controls and risk management, ensures consistency and standardization within the hub.
- Line manages FOs in hub, and provides technical guidance and support, and oversight on deliverables.
- Responsible for providing coaching and training support to all FOs in hub.
- Ensure smooth workflow among the hub finance team, including finding solutions as a team for periods of work overload, absences, delays in recruitment, etc, in which FM may be required to provide gapfilling FO support as needed.
- Serves as FO on assigned projects (for example, the DRL-funded LGBTI project).
- Leads or participates in investigations of fraud, corruption and financial mismanagement
- Leads organizational audits, and supports FOs to ensure project audits are done in a timely manner and to the highest quality.
- Member of hub management team
This position is for nationals only:
- At least a Bachelor degree in Finance, Accounting or a related study.
- At least 8 years of relevant and proven experience in finance field.
- Substantial budgeting, budget/expense analysis, and accounting experience.
- Experience working with an international NGO with diverse groups of staff and different work settings.
- Knowledge of key donor regulations highly preferred (Dutch MFA, SIDA, USG, EU)
- Knowledge of local law in taxation and local regulatory reporting procedures, preferably in multiple MENA countries
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to make sound judgment and decisions
- Very good planning, monitoring and organizational skills
- Impeccable record of integrity, professionalism and abiding by organizational codes of ethics.
- Possesses strong coordination skills and is able to manage teams if and where necessary.
- High level of verbal and written fluency in English and Arabic. Working knowledge of French is a strong advantage.
- Able to travel as required
- Level skills: conceptual skills, persuasiveness, decisiveness, initiative, flexibility.
- Good Communication with both finance and non-finance staff
- Able to meet deadlines, Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
- Ability to implement change
- Clear understanding of what drives the operational results
- Team player
- Demonstrates leadership
What we offer:
We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff. We offer a national contract based on Hivos local labor conditions, with a remuneration commensurate with the experience and expertise. Contract renewable depending on performance.
Want to apply?
Please apply by 13 December 2021.
Hivos reserves the right to close the position before the application deadline if a suitable candidate is identified. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible.